30 Tips To Maximize Food Volume With Low Macros
How to Start IIFYM Today
The official flexible dieting guide on how to start tracking macros and burn fat with IIFYM
The most common question we get from our readers that want to burn fat:
HOW DO I START TRACKING MACROS WITH IIFYM?
In this article I will take all of the guess work out of IIFYM and flexible dieting, and give you a specific path to follow to start your weight loss journey today:
1. Buy a digital food scale (weigh your food in grams, uncooked)
2. Sign up to MacroTracker.com (log all of your food in grams, uncooked).
3. Use the IIFYM Calculator to get your exact fat loss macros based on your your specific body and energy levels.
4. Weigh everything you eat for the first 3 months. (Eventually you can eyeball it but we suggest staying consistent with the scale for best results)
5. Log every single thing you eat at Macrotracker.com, not matter how small, or how “healthy” you think it is. If you eat it, track it!
6. If dieting to burn fat and lose weight, eat between 15% – 20% calories less than your body needs. This is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), every day (the IIFYM Macro Calculator is the most accurate diet calculator there is. If you are trying to put on muscle mass and gain weight, eat between 5% and 10% more calories than your TDEE, every day (preferably from carbs)
7. To dial in IIFYM with more accuracy, follow these steps:
-Eat at least .8 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight (total body weight, less total fat weight)
-Eat between .3 – .4 grams of fat per pound of lean body weight.
-Any remaining calories you have left in your daily total will come from carbs
-Take in 20-25% of your lean body weight (in grams) in fiber every day (this should be included in your carbohydrate total)
-Drink 3-4 liters of water per day in addition to any other liquid you consume.
-The more consistent your sodium and water are, the more stable your weight will be. Please while important to many functions in the human body, sodium and water have very little relation to fat loss but does have a large effect on water retention and body weight fluctuations. We mostly encourage sodium tracking so that it is easier to track your body weight, and thus make your adjustments based on more accurate information.
8. Once your fat loss stalls, reduce your daily intake of carbs by 10-15 grams (people with more weight to lose can go higher than those with less to lose.) Adjust your macros ONLY when your fat loss stalls for 10 days or more. Never reduce calories, carbs or fat if you are still making fat loss progress. Any changes you make should be few, infrequent and necessary.
9. Things to remember:
-Select foods that are rich in micro nutrients (vitamins and mineral) first. Once your micro nutrients are met, go for food that you enjoy eating, while staying within your personal range of macros. (Once micro nutrients are met, worry less about the foods you eat, and more about the macros you meet).
-Take a gender specific multi vitamin to insure your micro nutrients are being met.
Want to hire an IIFYM Coach for $47? – Click here: Give Me My Custom Macros!!